YEREVAN MUNICIPALITY

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

advanced search

Kanaker, St. James Church

Kanaker, St. James Church

The St. Hakob Church was built at the end of the XVII century at the site of the church, which was destroyed by the earthquake of 1679. The St. Hakob Church was reconstructed by the donation of Hakobjan, a wealthy resident of Tiflis. The Diocesan School named after St. Sahak Partev and conducted by Mesrop Archimandrite Smbatyants functioned at the church since 1868.

The St. Hakob Church belongs to the triple-nave basilica type with two couples of pillars, the chief altar in the eastern part and a couple of adjacent sacristies. The church has entrances from southern and western parts. Beautifully sculptured cross-stones (dated of 1504, 1571 and 1621) are fixed on the western front of the church.
In the God-denying years the church was locked and served as a storehouse. Later on, the St. Hakob Church was fundamentally restored by the government and began functioning in 1990.