The Covenant of Mayors
On September 9,2014 by the decision N 204-A of the Council of Elders of Yerevan, the city of Yerevan joined the EU Covenant of Mayors. The Covenant of Mayors is a flagship initiative of the European Union uniting the local, regional, and national authorities in accomplishment of the liabilities undertaken regarding CO2 emissions by not less than 20% by 2020 in accordance with the level chosen by the community in comparison with the level of emissions of the current year.
The participation in “Covenant of Mayors” initiative makes it possible for communities to ensure the following results:
- To improve the environment by reduction of green house gases and other emissions,
- To reveal the main spheres of energy use in the city economy and assess the technical and economical potential of energy efficiency in those spheres,
- To increase the quality of services,
- To work out and arrange the measures aimed at energy efficiency in accordance with their priority;
- To decrease the costs related energy consumption.
Nearly 699 cities of different countries have joined this initiative. The Armenian cities joined the covenant are Yerevan, Tsaghkadzor, Hrazdan, Aparan, Spitak, Vayq, Gyumri, Artik, Dilijan, Ashtarak, Etchmiadzin, Tashir, Vanadzor.
By the decision N 558-N made on June 24 of the current year the Council of Elders of Yerevan affirmed the Sustainable Energy Action Plan of Yerevan.