Restoration of "Erebuni" historical archaeological museum-reserve and establishment of tourism infrustructions
Project Description. The project aims to create a cultural and tourism center which will present the country's rich history and culture and will become one of the visiting cards of Yerevan. For the majority of tourist, more than one million, while visiting Armenia Yerevan is the first destination and hosting city.
Erebuni is one of the national and regional famous archaeological monumental heritages which is situated in the south-eastern part of Yerevan, on the top of Arin-fortress hill. It is one of the huge Urartian citadels built along the northern border of Urartian state, which was the most important economic, political and cultural center. According to the discovered inscriptions, Argishti the first constructed Erebuni city-fortress in 782 BC. 'Erebuni' historical archaeological museum-reserve was opened in 1968 and the opening was dedicated to the 2750 anniversary of Erebuni-Yerevan. In the vaults of the museum there are more than 10936 ancient objects. The museum has scientific research divisions, funds vaults, touristic, public events divisions, restoration and anthropology laboratories. Museum-reserve includes the building of the museum, fortress (citadel) and unfinished temples of god Khaldi and king Argishti.
It is planned to restore and fortify:
- The museum building and the citadel
- Temple of god Khald, palace of the king Argishti, Zikurate building, jars hall
- Amphitheater, where performances about Yerevan historic past will be staged
- Rcreation zone, where Urartian cuisine presentations will be organized, as well as other elements of Urartian culture and historical environment
- Administrative building, souvenirs boutique, fencing, parking
The following components are included in the pojects:
- Historical renaissance: recovery of the historical significance of the fortess and Urartian kingdom era, as well as recovery of the history of the city foundation. It is expected to perform 3D technology presentations about the history of the fortess and Urartian kingdom. Application of Urartian era elements throughout all the territory of the museum.
- Cultural renaissance: a number of cultural events may be organized during a year in outdoor areas of the reserve. Organization of traditional cuisines in monumental areas, which derives from tangible and intangible heritage connection. The suggested Urartian cousin will be organized outside the fortress area, at the foot of the hill and will be the dublication of the Urartian royal dining room, with the appropriate design (Urartian frescoes, copies of the valuable artifacts, etc.), where the visitor can see the restored Urartian table and the chairs, kitchen utensils and can taste food prepared based on the recipes of dishes discovered from archaeological site.
- Religious renaissance: Organization of cognitive events, performances about the worship environment of that era and about pantheon of the Urartian gods, taking into account the fact that the temple of god Khald, the supreme god of Urartian mythology, is situated in that territory.
- Archaeological significance: “Erebuni” museum-reserve, based on its archaeological value, may become one of the important centers in our region for foreign archaeologists and scientists involved in studying the history of Urartu. The 'Young archaeologist' school is already functioning here.
- Infrastructure development: The territory of the museum allows using the surrounding area for planting specific vegetation, for developing public services and to create integration conditions for persons with disabilities, etc.
The implementation of modern technologies is very important in the process of restoration of museum-reserve, i.e. implementation of QR codes on the displays, provision of audio-guides, installation of interactive kiosks, and provision of phone applications.
Technical Data. The total surface of the area is 27.9 ha.
Project Deadlines. Dduration of the project: 3 years.
Project Cost. The total amount of the project is approximately USD 10 million. It is possible to split the implementation of the project into phases.
Investment Type and Fundamental Terms. Community-private investments
Present Data. Project sketch-design is available.