Dramatic Theater of Yerevan City Hall after Hrachya Ghaplanyan
The Dramatic Theater after Hrachya Ghaplanyan was founded in 1967. The founder was the USSR People's artist Hrachya Ghaplanyan. The first performance staged at the theater was "Optimistic tragedy" ( director – Hr. Ghaplanyan).
The National Academic Theater after Gabriel Sundukyan was founded in 1921, officially it was opened in 1922. The founder and the first art director was Levon Kalantar. The first performance was comedy “Pepo”, director – Levon Kalantar. At first, the theater was called First State Thater. In 1937 it was named after dramatist Gabriel Sundukyan, in 1967 it was awarded with the status of Academic theater. Now the troupe of the theater includes the USSR People's artist Varduhi Varderesyan,the RA People's artists Vladimir Abajyan, Zhenya Avetisyan, Vahram Yeghshatyan, Heghine Hovhannisyan, Margo Mouradyan, the RA Honoured artists Karen Janibekyan, Harutyun Movsisyan, Mourad Janibekyan, Norayr Gevorgyan, Gevorg Chepchyan, Nelly Kheranyan, Tigran Nersisyan, Greta Mejlumyan, Azat Gasparyan, Julieta Stepanyan and others.
State Theater of Musical Comedy after Hakob Paronyan
In 1942 the RA People's artists Shara Talyan, Aram Ter-Hovhannisyan, Artemy Ayvazyan, Tadevos Saryan, Hayk and Isabel Danzas, Eduard Hambartsumyan, Varduhi Shahsuvaryan, Aram Samvelyan founded the State Theater of Musical Comedy after Hakob Paronyan. The first director was Zaven Vardanyan, the first performance - operette «The king is having fun» by Roudolf Nelson (director – Tadevos Saryan, conductor – Raisa Sarkisova(Sargsyan). The present art director of the theater is the RA People's artist Yervand Ghazanchyan, director – Karo Shahbazyan. The troupe consists of the RA People's Artist Svetlana Grigoryan, the RA Honoured artists Mariam Ghazanchyan, Boris Pepenyan, Kajazun Gyurjyan, Norayr Gevorgyan, Zaven Abrahamyan and others. The theater participated in the international festivals in the USA, Syria, Iran, Georgia and Yerevan and was awarded with 6 prizes.
The theater was founded in 1936. The founder and the first art director was Levon Kalantar. The members of the troupe are the RA People’s artists Leyli Khachatryan, Irina Marchenko, the RA Honored artists Sergey Maghalyan, Robert Hakobyan, Fred Davtyan and others. In this theater began his artistic activity the USSR People’s artist Armen Jigarkhanyan. Since 1969 the art director of the theater has been Alexandr Grigoryan, the director - Fred Davtyan. The theater participated in many international festivals in Moscow, St Petersburg, Brest, Saransk and others and was awarded with “Grand prix”and the first prizes. In 2009 in St Petersburg International Festival the theater won the most honored first prize.
The Young People’s Theatre was founded in 1929. The founder was Tigran Shamirkhanyan. The first performance staged at the theatre was “Explosion”. The troupe includes Armen Santrosyan, Araik Matevosyan, Razmik Amirgulyan, Anahit Ghukasyan, Ishkhan Gharibyan.
It was founded in 1980. The founder and the first art director was Henril Malyan. The first performance staged at the theater was “Instructive fairy tales of my Homeland”, the director of which was Henrik Malyan. The present art director of the theater is his daughter, Narine Malyan. The troupe includes Ashot Yeghiazaryan, Varduhi Rushanyan, Ara Sargsyan, Levon Ghazaryan, Levon Meloyan, Gevorg Hovalimyan and others. The theater participated in international festivals, has been awarded with 8 gold medals and 5 “Artavazd” prizes.
The Nationalwide Theater was founded in 1992. The founder and the first and only director is the USSR People’s artist Sos Sargsyan. The first performance staged here was “Prefect of Sanita” by Eduardo de Philipo, director – Sos Sargsyan. At present there are 23 artists in the troupe of the theatre (Mkhitar Avetisyan, Varsham Gevorgyan, Tatev Ghazaryan, Alla Sahakyan and others).
The official opening took place in 1982. Before it, in 1981 the staff of the theatre received the state status. The founder and the present art director is Ara Yernjakyan. In 1985 the Chamber Theater together with 6 other USSR theaters was awarded with the laureate titles in the 12th Moscow International Festival of Youth and Students. According to the information of the theater web-site www.erkat.am, the troupe of the theater is formed by Georgy Amiragov, Arshaluys Harutyunyan, Ketrin Manasyan, Astghik Artsruni, Luiza Nersisyan, Manuk Hakhverdyan and others.
The State Puppet Theatre was founded in 1987. It was the third one in the territory of the former USSR (after similar theaters of Leningrad, now St Petersburg and Tbilisi) and the first one which staged performances both for adults and for children. Unlike common marionette theaters this one performs on the real small stage: the puppets are run from above with threads. The first performance was "The three piglets".
After the first success there were difficulties both in artistic and in financial life of the theater. This art center had a new ascent in 2000. The flow of new creative forces took place, the repertoire was enriched with new and successful performances: "The creation of the world", "A star of hope", "The true friend", "The brave cock", "Mice Assembly", "You have entered the world" by W. Saroyan, "A man from La Manche" by Servantes musical performance ( staged by Armen Elbakyan). The latter was accepted the best performance of 2005-2006 and was awarded with "Artavazd" prize. Now there are 18 performances in the repertoire of the theater. The director of the theater is the RA Honored worker of Art Armen Elbakyan, the chief director is the RA Honored artist Anna Elbakyan.
Yerevan State Puppet Theater after Hovhannes Tumanyan
The history of the theater
The Yerevan State Puppet Theater after H. Tumanyan was founded on June 1, 1935. The founders were stage manager Sofya Bejanyan, artists Gevorg Arakelyan, actors Pavlos Boroyan and Araksya Arabyan. The first director of the theater was Varya Stepanyan. During the years of the formation of the theater directors Levon Kalantar, Vardan Ajemyan, Tigran Shamirkhanyan, artists Khachik Yesayan, Vachagan Tevanyan contributed their talent to the creative life of the theater. In 1950 the theater was closed, in 1951-1957 the creative staff worked as a puppet group within the staff of “Armconcert” company. On July 27, 1957 the Puppet theater was re-opened as a separate theater in the building at 43 Lenin (Mashtots) avenue. On January 30, 1958 the theater was opened with the play “Two friends”. In 1975 the theater moved to its present building at Sayat Nova 4. The new stage had big opportunities for creating. Since the 1970s young actors came to the theater: Arshak Poghosyan, Ara Hakobyan, Nune Vardanyan, Mnatsakan Piloyan, Petros Khachikyan, Gagik Rostomyan and others. In 1976 Manya Aslanyan staged the first play for adult audience-“Charming Galatea” on the themes of Greek mythology. It was followed by “Little prince” by Exupery (1983, director Volkhovski). In 1987 Yervand Manaryan staged “Honorable Beggars” by Hakob Paronyan named “Flowers street N 2” This play was a special achievement for the creative staff: a classic author is staged, the setting of Polis is created, Western Armenian language is overcome. Since 1998 the manager and the art director of of the theater has been Ruben Babayan. The theater goes on active creative life opening its doors for children and adults.
The experimental Youth Theatre was founded in 1978 by Hrachya Ghazaryan. The present director of the theater is Edik Hakobyan. The members of troupe are Karine Sargsyan, Marine Grigoryan, Gor Dinosyan and others.
Artistic Theater "Mher Mkrtchyan" of Yerevan City Hall
Artistic Theater «Mher Mkrtchyan» was founded in 1986 by the efforts of the USSR People's artist Mher Mkrtchyan. First it was called Artistic Theter after Vardan Achemyan. The opening took place with the performance of «The Baker's wife» by M. Pagnol staged by M. Mkrtchyan, who embodied the main character of the piece Aimable Castanier and this part became the “swan-song” of the great artist. After the death of beloved actor the theater was recalled after him Artistic Theater “Mher Mkrtcyan” of Yerevan City Hall. The troupe includes the RA Honoured artists Lala Mnatsakanyan, Anahit Kocharyan, artists Hayk Sargsyan, Arsen Grigoryan, Karine Safaryan, Nanor Petrosyan, Knarik Zakaryan, Liana Adamyan and others.
"Edgar Elbakyan" theater was founded in1994 by the RA People’s artist Armen Elbakyan. The first performance staged here was Armenian classic "Eastern Dentist" by Hakob Paronyan, the premier of which took place in June 1994 in the hall of Writers' Union. The artists of the young and old generation were included in the troupe. The theater participated in many international festivals. In 2004 the performance of "Last waltz"( according to "Playing Strindberg" piece by Dyurenmat) was invited to the 12th theater festival in Damask where the RA People's Artist Vladimir Msryan was awarded with a special prize for the part of Edgar. In 2005 Anna Elbakyan and Vladimir Msryan were awarded with "Artavazd" prize as the pest artists of the year. In 2008 the performance "Won't you dance with me?" based on W.Saroyan works was a great success: Anna and Armen Elbakyans were awarded with "Artavazd" prize as the best artists of the year. In 2008 for the same performance Armen Elbakyan was awarded at Hungary International Theater Festival "Arkusfest" in the nomination of best artist. The art director of the theater is Lily Elbakyan, the director - Ruben Abrahamyan.
The Theater-studio was founded in 1988. The founder and the present art director is Yervand Manaryan. The first performance was “Oh,greedy,oh” (“Greedy woodcutter”) (director – Ye. Manaryan). The troupe includes Mery Keshishyan, Gevorg Harutyunyan, Karine Muradkhanyan and others.
"Metro" theater was founded in 1992. The founder is Henrik Igityan, the first director - Vigen Stepanyan, the art director – Nikolai Tsaturyan. Now the theater's art director is Karen Miraqyan. The troupe includes Sona Martirosyan, Anna Elbakyan, Levon Harutyunyan, Stepan Shahinyan and others.