Republic square is the heart of Yerevan, the base of the General Plan of Yerevan designed in 1924-1936 by architect Alexander Tamanyan. It is situated in the center of Yerevan, in the junction joining Abovyan, Nalbandyan, Amiryan, V.Sargsyan streets and Tigran Mets avenue. Before the implementation of Tamanyan's draft an open scare designed by Mehrabov used to be in this place. The square was built by a number of stages, the first and the second important stages were connected with the construction of the building of People's Commissariat of Agriculture (1926) and the House of Government, the architect of which was Tamanyan.
Republic square used to be called Lenin square. The monument to Lenin was erected in the south part of the square (sculptor S.Merkorov,architects N. Paremuzova, L.Vardanov) and after the collapse of the USSR the monument was dismantled. In the 1950s the surroundings of the square were completed the building of «Ararat» trust and the second House of Government, the buildings of Communications and Trade Unions, the hotel «Armenia» and the open colonnade in front of the House of Culture. In 1980 the State Art Gallery was added to the House of Culture.
Nowadays, the square has an oval form and the square part with the fountains and the basin is adjacent to it. The architectural style of the House of Government had decisive influence on the creation of the decorative image of the square complex and it determined the proportions of the volumes of the square, the height of the buildings. Flexible archs, national ornaments and pale pink palette prevail in the square. The square is one of the best architectural complexes of the Soviet period. In 1970 the square was awarded with the Arm SSR state prize. It was last re-constructed and improved in 2003-2004. The central singing fountains of Yerevan are situated in Republic square and they were designed by architect A. Tamanyan in 1939, but they were constructed only in 1955 by architect E.Sarapyan's draft, and in 1970 and 1988 they were turned into colourful singing fountains.
Azatutyan square (Freedom square) is one of the favorite places of the townspeople and the guests of the capital. It is located in the yard of the Opera and Ballet House after Al. Spendiaryan. Previously, the square was called Theatrical square and in 1991 it was re-named Azatutyan square as a symbol of Armenia’s independence. The monuments to the great Armenian composer, the Arm SSR People’s Artist Al.Spendiaryan and to the greatest Armenian poet, writer, national and public figure Hovh. Tumanyan are erected in the square.
It is a splendid central square located at the junction of Sayat Nova and Mesrop Mashtots avenues near the National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet after A. Spendiaryan. In 2006 it was named Square of France in the event of the Days of France in Armenia. Among the numerous guests there were the former President of France Jacques Shirak and the world-known chansonnier Charles Aznavour., On November 7,2011, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of Armenia’s independence the presidents of Armenia and France opened the sculpture “Jules Bastien-Lepage” by the eminent French sculptor Auguste Rodin in the centre of the square of France.
The square named after famous French Armenian singer, composer, actor and public figure Charles Aznavour is a semi-circle square in Abovyan street. The square was included in the General Plan of the city of 1924 made by Tamanyan.
Kh. Abovyan square was founded in 1950. It is located in the north-east of Abovyan street, in its beginning. It is a circle square with the monument to Khachatur Abovyan in the centre. The monument was created in 1947, by sculptor S. Stepanyan, architect G. Tamanyan). The sculpture is made of bronze and is placed on the pedestal of gray granite.
David of Sasun square is adjacent to the railway station. It is located in the south of Yerevan, in the area between the industrial and residential parts of Erebuni district The railway station connects the capital with the provinces of the country and abroad. The station is built in the combination of national and classical styles. In the centre of the square there is the sculpture of David of Sasun the hero of the Armenian epos, embodied the struggle for freedom. The authors of the sculpture are sculptor Yervand Kochar and architect Mikael Mazmanyan. The statue was made of wrought copper and placed in 1959 on the rock-like basalt pedestal. The monument belongs to the series of the best horse sculptors of the Soviet art for which the sculptor was awarded with the Arm SSR state prize.
The square after Al. Myasnikyan is located in the important urban development area. By all the general plans of Yerevan beginning from academician Al. Tamanyan, this area was provided for as a square, However its features have formed within the recent years. In 2004 the construction of the building of the Yerevan Municipality was completed and the urban combination of this square was confirmed afterwards. The main principle of the combination is that the building of the Municipality of Yerevan is to be adjacent to the square. Later Moscow House was built opposite the City Hall (2005) and with the development of Myasnikyan square Yerevan got not only a pretty and modern square but also a new street network with Argishti and Italy streets. The author of the urban composition of Myasnikyan square is architect Levon Vardanyan who is also the architect of Moscow House. By the way, this square is adjacent to the former area of the Old Yerevan fortress. The square is completed with the pink granite statue of the Soviet statesman, party and military figure, literary critic Alexander Myasnikyan. The authors of the sculpture are architect Jim Torosyan and sculptor Ara Shiraz. (1980).
The square of Russia is in the neighbourhood of Al, Myasnikyan square and borders to the Municipality of Yerevan and the Moscow House. The solemn opening of the square took place on October 21, 2008 and it was officially renamed.
The square after Sakharov is at the beginning of Nalbandyan street, to the north-east from Republic square. In the period of Persian domination this area was named Pana Khan square. It was included in Mehrabov's general plan before the implementation of the general plan of Yerevan by Al. Tamanyan. Sakharov square (formerly called Azizbekov square) was re-named in 1991 after the eminent specialist of Armenian history and culture, physicist, atomic scientist, one of the authors of hydrogen bomb, the USSR NAS academician, the laureate of 1975 Nobel Prize, public and political figure Andrey Sakharov. This little square connects Vardanants, Nalbandyan and Pushkin streets. The bust to Sakharov is in the center of the square. Its sculptor is Tigran Arzumanyan, architect Levon Ghalukyan, engraver Nerses Charkhchyan.
The square of Garegin Nzhdeh is located in Shengavit districts of Yerevan. It used to be named after the Armenian revolutionary figure Suren Spandaryan. In 1991 it was renamed after Armenian eminent statesman Garegin Nzhdeh. The last metro station of the Yerevan underground “Garegin Nzhdeh” is also in the square. The monument to S. Spandaryan is still there too.
Barekamutyan square (Square of Freindship) is in the area of “Barekamutyun” metro station. Once it had a circle form but in 2007 it changed it form when an overpass was built here to connect Baghramyan, Kasyan,Komitas streets by the upper part and Kievyan and Kochar streets by underground part.
Erebuni square is located at the end of the street with the same name, adjacent to the historical and archaeological reserve-museum “Erebuni”. The square is completed at the stairs leading to the museum and the castle. Here is the magnificent statue of King Argishti, the founder of Erebuni fortress. The statue is made by sculptor Levon Tokmajyan, architect Eduard Baroyan.
One of the picturesque squares, Uruguay square was renamed in 1997. It is situated on the road leading from Paronyan street to the Hrazdan gorge. The «Hrazdan» hotel and the medical center «Nairi» are nearby. In the center of the square there is a statue called «The dance of fire» or «Lilit». The author of the sculpture is sculptor William Petrosyan.
Dyor square is in Nor Nork district. It connects David Bek, Shopron, badal Muradyan and Mikoyan streets. The square was named after the city of Dyor in Hungary, which is the administrative center of Dyor-Shopron province of the country.
Labour square is located at the junction of Bagratunyants and Arshakunyants avenues. It plays an important road and transportation role. Previously, the statue of a Worker called “For the glory of labour” was placed here and it was dismantled in the middle of the 1990s. It has been called labour square since 1981.