The Armenian kingdom of Van - Urartu, or Biainili, was formed in the 9th century B.C. in the basin of Lake Van in the Armenian Highlands. The king Arameh was the founder of the state. The kingdom of Van was one of the most developed states of its age.
Erebuni-Yerevan is 2795. In the 5th year of his reign the king Argishti the First built it as a town-fortress. Soldiers, 6600 in number, were the first dwellers of the town. Cuneiform record left by Argishti the First tell the following: "In the greatness of the god Khald, Argishti, Menua’s son, has built this impregnable fortress and called it Erebuni for the power of the country of Biaini and to enemies’ horror. Argisti says... The land was unpopulated, and here I have done great work. In the greatness of the god Khald, Argishti, Menua’s son, powerful king, the king of the country of Biaini, the ruler of the city of Tushpa".
This remained historical record gave an opportunity to scientists to make more accurate the date of birth of Yerevan - 782 B.C. Erebuni-Yerevan was founded 29 years earlier than Rome and has about the same age as Babylon, Nineveh and Persepolis, but unlike them it has become one of prosperous cities of the 21st century.
During the course of centuries the town had an important role in the economic, social and political life of Armenia. Many caravan routes passed trough that big trade center. Archeological excavations indicate that Erebuni was a big administrative center most powerful in Ararat valley. During centuries the town stayed firm though it underwent many trials and tribulations. The city endured numerous raids of Assyrians, Romans, Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, Seljuks, Mongols and Turks, but the people continued to create resisting all miseries. A culture was created with valuable culture and developed sciences.
On May 28, 1918 Yerevan was declared as the capital of the Republic of Armenia, and on November 29, 1920 - as the capital of Soviet Armenia.
Yerevan was the first city in the Soviet Union, for which a General Plan was developed. The General Plan developed by the academician Alexander Tamanyan was approved in 1924: it was designed for 150000. In the course of time the administrative area of the city increased 5 times. Construction of Yerevan started: it was built by basalt, granite and marble. The most widely used construction material was rosy tuff. Since this construction material gave a unique vividness and specific tint to the city, Yerevan was called "Rosy city". During next 70 years the area of the city was enlarged even more.
On September 21, 1921 Yerevan became not only a capital of the independent Republic of Armenia, but also of all Armenian people spread all over the world.