The museum was founded by the law accepted by the Parliament of the first republic of Armenia. It was called National anthropological museum-library. On August 20th, 1921 it was opened for the visitors. It was formed on the basis of collections of Caucasian Armenian Ethnographic company, museums of Armenian antiquities of Nor Nakhchevan, Antiquity Depository of Ani, Vagharshapat Matenadaran. The national collection consisted of about 400000 items is kept in the State Museum of Armenian History, completing the culture and history of Armenia coming from pre-historic times.
The National Art Gallery is situated in Republic Square of Yerevan. It was founded in 1921, but the previous two-storey building made of black tufa was faced with white stone and an eight-storey branch building was erected in the yard in 1978. The Art Gallery created a rich collection of Armenian, Russian and West Europe painting (more than 25 thousand exhibits), it is a member of the International Association of Fine Arts museums.
In 2002 the USA Gafechean museum foundation opened in Yerevan “Cafesjian museum-foundation” with the aim of creating a museum of contemporary arts and a cultural center. The Republic of Armenia allocated an area and the half-built area of Cascade to the Cafesjian museum-foundation. While founding the GMF, Gerard L.Cafesjian passed his private collection of works of art to the museum designed by David Hotson, the architect from New York. Gerard Cafesjian museum will serve as the national center for art creativity and self-expression and tightly cooperate with the art-loving community. The main aim of the museum is to show world art of painting.
"Erebuni" historical-archeological reserve-museum was opened on October 21st, 1968 on the occasion of 2750th anniversary of Erebuni-Yerevan fortress-town foundation. This ancient site is a historical-archeological reserve-museum with a surface of 60 hectares. The architect of the building of «Erebuni» museum is Shmavon Azatyan, the sculptor - Ara Harutunyan. The reserve-museum has 2 branch museums: an early agricultural settlement of Shengavit situated on the bank of lake Yerevan and a town-fortress of Teyshebaini (Karmir blur), built by Rusa II in the middle of the VII century BC, which is located in the southwest suburb of Yerevan, on the bank of the Hrazdan river. There are 10936 archeological items in the depositories of the museum, but only 662 ones are exhibited. The museum has science-research, funds preservation, excursion and mass arrangement departments, laboratories of rehabilitation and anthropology. Annually 15000 tourists visit the museum. To set up a center of Urartology on the basis of «Erebuni» museum courses of the Urartian language are held at the museum.
Director - Gagik Gyurjyan
Working days and hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 10:30-16:30
In April, 1953 at Moskovyan 40 in Yerevan by the project of architect Grigor Aghababyan the museum of Hovh. Toumanyan was opened, where more than 18000 exhibits are kept carefully. One of the greatest values of the museum - Hovh.Toumanyan's personal exceptional and various library consisted of about 8 000 volumes – is kept in a separate hall on the second floor. The copy of Tiflis «Vernatun» impresses greatly. One of the attractive corners of the museum is the panorama of « Lori gorge», the view of which is accompanied by the music from «Anoush» opera. To reach this museum, situated on the eminence in the center of Yerevan you should surmount 54 stairs - this number symbolize the years of life of the greatest Armenian.
Hovhannes SharambeyanCentre of Popular Creation is a unique hearth of national culture.Its mission is preservation and popularization of tangible and intangible cultural heritage. The Centre was founded in 2011 when H.Sharambeyan Folk Art Museum and the Centre of People’s Art and Crafts were joined up. The exhibits of Popular House founded in 1930s by the efforts of an ethnographer and folklore specialist HabetnakBabayan served as the basis for Folk Art Museumsin Yerevanand Dilijan. The collection(about 10.000 samples) includes works of art processing of wood, stone, metal, articles of ceramics, lace, embroidery, rugs and carpets, paintings by self-educated painters. Donations by the Armenian Diaspora take a particular place in the Collection. The exclusive samples of the Centre have been displayed in Russia, France,Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Austria, China, Iran, Syria and other countries.
The Yerevan Museum of Modern Art was founded in 1972 by the efforts of Henrik Igityan, Yerevan Mayor G. Hasratyan and the best Armenian painters. As a specialized museum of modern art this establishment was the first not only in the former Soviet Union, but also in the whole socialist block. Within the following 20 years the museum kept its uniqueness. The first exhibition of the museum completely consisted of the works of the Armenian artists of the 1960s granted to the museum by them. The main exhibits of the museum are the works of Minas Avetisyan, Ashot Hovhannisyan, Martin Petrosyan, Hakob Hakobyan, Gayane Khachatryan, Vruyr Galstyan, the Elibekyan brothers, Haroutioun Galentz, Rudolph Khachatryan, Ashot Bayandur and other outstanding artists. In 2007 a new building was allocated to the museum where the works of the artists of middle and younger generation are exhibited. The artists of the 1980s such as Kamo Nigaryan, Marine Dilanyan, Albert Hakobyan, Mnavel Baghdasaryan, Arevik Arevshatyan, Ruben Grigoryan, Armen Gevorgyan, Sona Banoyan, Vahan Rumelyan, Moko Khachatryan, Gagik Ghazanchyan, Tigran Matulyan, Mushegh Mkhitaryan, Teni Vardanyan, Gabriel Manukyan, Sargis Hamalbashyan, Artur and Ararat Sargsyans and others are exhibited there. In 2004 a benefactor Grigor Muradyan granted the museum the works of well-known American-Armenian artist and sculptor Emil Kazaz. Headed by Henrik Igityan the staff of the museum prepared a number of albums, such as “Kochar”, “A. Bazhbeuk-Melikyan”, “From Hovnatanyan to Minas”,”Museum”,”Armenian palette I”, “Armenian palette II”, “Minas Avetisyan”, ‘Vruir Galstyan”, “Ashot Hovhannisyan”, as well as individual catalogues of the artists of 1980s. Now the catalogue of “Yerevan Modern Art Museum” is being prepared for publication. The museum is open from 11.00 to 18.00 Day off – Monday Entrance fee-AMD 500 Excursion service – In Armenian – AMD 2000 In foreign languages – AMD 2500 The third and fourth Fridays of each month the entrance is free of charge for pupils and students.
Museum of literature and art after Yeghishe Charents
The museum was founded in 1921 initially as the museum of literature 9founder-Ye. Shahaziz). It functioned in the museum of cultural-historical museum of Armenia. In 1954 the museum was formed on the base of materials of museums of literature, drama and the musical laboratory of R.Melikyan. Till 1962 the museum was named museum of literature and art of Arm SSR Academy of Science, then of the Arm SSR Ministry of Culture. Since 1967 it has been named after Ye. Charents. The samples of Armenian literature from Sayat Nova up to contemporary period and the manuscrtipts, letters of art devotees, their personal and scenic things, photos ,playbills, phonograms, sculptures, paintings, personal libraries, musical instruments-all these samples are united in the museum. More than a thousand personal archives and collections are kept in the museum nowadays including more than one million museum samples. The exhibition called “From Sayat Nova to Charents” is exhibited in the museum permanently. In parallel with the permanent exhibition various thematic exhibitions as wellas literature and musical parties, lectures, meetings with workers of culture are organized here. Director-henrik Bakhchinyan
In accordance with the decree of the Council of Ministers of Soviet Armenia, dated February 8, 1964, the house-museum of Yeghishe Charents was founded in Mashtots avenue, 17 (formerly Lenin avenue,45) in Yerevan: in this building the poet lived in 1935-1937. It is the center studying the poet's life, his literature and culture, public and political activity, where the poet’s relics achieved us: personal things, manuscripts, documents, books, photos and other things. The most dedicatory sector of the museum is the reminiscence home where everything is preserved and exhibited as it used to be during his living there.
The museum was founded in 1988 after the first exhibition of Parajanov’s works held in People’s art Museum of Armenia. In the same year Sargis Parajanyants was allotted two adjacent constructions for dwelling and for the museum in "Dzoragyugh" ethnic quarter. The museum was opened in 1991. The main part of the collection are Parajanov’s works: drawings, texts for films, dolls, hats, as well as his furnishings and personal items brought from his house in Tiflis on his own free will when he was alive. The letters of the director written to Lily Brik, Tarkovsky, Nikulin and to other workers of culture are kept in the museum. 700 works of art are included in the exhibition. Certain segments of Parajanov's homes in Tiflis and Kiev were restored in the two halls of reminiscence.
The majority of his works were created in the years of his imprisonment.
The museum organized 56 exhibitions in Cannes, Salonika, Moscow, Rome, London, Los Angeles, Tehran, Beijing, Paris and other places.
The house-museum was opened in 1984, when the 80th jubilee of the famous musician. The collection includes more than 18000 valuable items. Various items exhibited in the reminiscence home and in 10 exhibition halls introduce the visitors with the life and creative heritage of Aram Khachatryan. There is a rich record library and a concert hall in the museum, where concerts, musical festivals and exhibitions are often held.
It is situated in Zarobyan street (former Plekhanov street), in parallel to Baghramyan avenue. In this house the writer lived the last ten years of his life. The house-museum was opened on October 31, 1963. The exhibition consists of 2 parts - literature and reminiscence. The poet’s study, where the visitor can see the Master’s writing table, his sofa specially made for him are presented in the museum. There are old Armenian publications in the poet's library. A lot of rare in Armenia books you can find only in Isahakyan's library. More than 10 thousand values, describing Isahakyan’s life and work are kept in the museum, which are scientifically studied and presented to the public.
Yervand Kochar museum was opened in 1984 in the place of Maestro’s workshop. The museum gives full information about the whole creative life of the artist: paintings, graphics, sculptures of "Tiflis", "Paris", "Yerevan" periods, models of monument sculptures, videos. Kochar's prospective works of art, considered to be an achievement of modern art, are kept in "Pompidu" center in Paris and in Yervand Kochar museum. Rare documents telling about Kochar’s relations with the great representatives of avant-garde are also displayed in the museum. Yervand Kochar museum is an important center of studying and spreading of historical avant-garde in the region. The works of Armenian artist were exhibited beside the ones of such famous artists as Picasso, Braque, Arp, Brancusi, Leger, de Chirico and others. Together with them, as well as with Duchamp, Miro, Kandinsky, Moholy-Nagy, Delaunay in 1936 he signed “Dimansionist manifesto”, which was the herald of the newest aesthetic principles of the time.